I’ve been caught up in so many emotions and questions without answers lately, yet I find myself capable every day to smile for something.
It’s funny how in my early 20’s I thought I would have everything figured out by latest 23, living a beautiful story with the love of my life, getting married, decorating our home, traveling the world…Boy, was I wrong…I don’t know why I’ve set all these milestones in my head, maybe society made me do it, maybe my “little girl” soul defined happiness by these accomplishments.
Not getting all these things made me realize how much pressure I was putting on myself to have everything sorted. And why? Just because everyone is doing the same? Most of my Uni colleagues are happily married, some of them already having the second baby. But, I’m not them.
As a means of catharsis and being incredibly open with you, I’ve decided to tell you more about my emotions, feelings and fears in the idea that I’m not alone.
It’s amazing how we, as women have evolved generation after generation, from having as main purpose to get married at an early age and raise children to becoming more independent and focusing on a career, rather than starting a family first. We are now choosing alternative lifestyles from our elders and it creates a bit of insecurity.
Ending a relationship it feels overwhelming especially when you thought it was time for you to settle down. After the first break up, too much wondering and obsessive over thinking got me depressed. I loathed those questions in my head : “will I ever find someone to love?”, “will I ever be happy again?”.
Baby girl, I assure you, you don’t need anyone else to be happy. And once you will understand that, your life will start to be exactly how you dreamed.
Once you stop focusing so much on that other person to show up and think he/she will make you feel that you’re whole again, remember you’re not a half of anything. You are just enough and the bits you need to fill will be plain with all the emotions and experiences that bring you joy.
I never thought I would say this, but here it goes…I am ready to date myself and I’ve been doing it for the last two months. It feels empowering to spend time alone and not to be obsessed anymore with the idea of sharing everything with someone, to be able to find happiness in small things and invest time to improve myself and become the person I always wanted to be.
So, just a glimpse of all the things and activities that bring me joy, probably a lot of them will inspire you to slow down a bit and enjoy more your life and realize there is much more to be happy about than caught up in sad emotions.
- waking up in the morning, realizing I’ve been given another chance to live those 24 hours with purpose
- the first thing when I get up, to feel the coziness of my slippers
- wearing a delicate silk gown, giving me the feeling of royalty mornings
- the smell of strong coffee
- taking a coffee to work and using the hot cup to warm up my hands
- listening to motivational speeches on my way to work
- smiling at strangers and them smiling back
- stoping in the train station and imagining I’m taking the train to a new city every day and skipping a day of work
- listening to the stranger in the train station playing the piano
- sending text messages to my friends why I appreciate them
- buying fresh flowers and taking the time to arrange them in a vase
- watching random episodes of F.R.I.E.N.D.S and still laughing like the first time
- pretending I’m buying a perfume, yet I’m visiting the shop just to use my favorite perfume because I forgot to use mine from home (the only one I have LOL)
- gifting my clothes just because a friend likes them more
- writing compliments on sticky notes and leave them on my colleagues’ desks
- keeping a journal
- reading late in the afternoon when the last rays of light are playing on the walls of the bedroom
- the look I have when I finish every workout
- sleeping more on a Sunday
- eating breakfast in bed during the weekend
- dancing while changing my clothes and getting ready for sleep
- writing a list of reasons for being grateful every day
- not wearing nail polish
- wearing long sweaters without pants and pulling the sleeves over my fingers
- the smell of perfume from a sweater I pulled on again after few days later
- lightening candles for a cozier mood, when having dinner alone
- the smell of Christmas when cooking rice pudding with apples and cinamon
- going alone to cinema
- hiding under the blanket, but with one leg outside. Balance you know 🙂
- learning about new ways to protect the environment
I find inspiration in all the things around me and I am glad I can finally be more confident to share some aspects of my life with the hope that will inspire you also to slow down a bit and appreciate every day. Because LIFE IS SHORT. It just is. So make the choices that will get you by the end of the day the certainty that you lived your life to the fullest.
This time I got my inspiration from the latest perfume signed Dior : “Joy”, the perfect scent for this autumn and the only one I am using at the moment.
I don’t know about you guys, but I only like to use one perfume for a longer period because of the feeling of being associated with that smell. People would immediately think about me when they would sense it. (also, trying to be as minimalist as I can).
“This fragrance expresses that particular feeling of joy by offering an olfactory interpretation of light”François Demachy
“Please, bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
I choose to have affiliate links with Dior because is one of my favorite companies and I have been using their products for years.
There is no additional cost for you. I am an independent blogger and any review is based on my own opinion.”